Eye of the Storm

backup for http://radio.weblogs.com/0131089/

Sunday, August 28, 2005

Katrina continues to intensify

Last post from Orlando. Next will be from Tallahassee in a few hours, pending computer availability. Brendan Loy should be up and blogging again soon.

Pressure is now down to 902 millibars.

Model guidance for intensity is not encouraging. Latest SHIPS output is for 180 mph winds in 12 hours with no indication of weakening before landfall (note that DSHP is the SHIPS output with the dissipative effects of land taken into account.)

The 12Z runs of GFS, GFDL and NOGAPS models do not provide much hope for New Orleans .

I have a feeling that regardless of traffic, the drive to Tallahassee is going to be the longest ever for me. Work has helped me somewhat in keeping my thoughts off the imminent catastrophe, but I won't have any such distraction on the road.

3 Comments:

At 4:38 PM, Blogger ed_in_cda said...

I've done a bit of background on New Orleans. This looks about as bad as it could get. BP will probably go below 900mb. God help them.
New Orleans info

 
At 11:24 PM, Anonymous arthur.nudge said...

Thanks for your coverage. I've included all of the links I've been following for Hurricane Katrina at del.icio.us:
http://del.icio.us/arthur.nudge/hurricane

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger Brendan said...

Are you OK?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home